10 Weird Questions with Tyler Oakley
I recently sat down with YouTube celebrity Tyler Oakley, who you may have seen introducing Beyonce for Pepsi during the Super Bowl Halftime Show this year. We discussed prom, One Direction, and, of course, the disturbing animated gif files I send him.
1. You’re known as the #1 One Direction fan. Why should I also become a Directioner? Is that what’s it’s called? Is this a gang I’m joining??
You should become a Directioner because it’s like being in the absolute best tween whirlwind of delusion and fantasy. We cry at the sight of a cute teenage British boy holding a puppy. You probably do that already. That basically means that you’re already a Directioner and you don’t even know it. And yes, it is a gang. You should see what happens when Beliebers try to come for a 1D fan.
2. You’re stranded on a deserted island and the only music you have is Green Day’s newer stuff. How do you kill yourself?
I haven’t heard Green Day’s newer stuff! Is this a thing I should be aware that the internet hates, and, therefore, should hate too? I feel so uncool right now. I’m still on the Nickelback-hating bandwagon. Wait, do we still hate Nickelback? Wait. What was the question?
3. If you could go to prom again who would be your date and what would you guys do?
I am actually so good at prom. I went all four years of high school (being a boy in Drama Club made me very marketable, the ratio of guys to girls was about 1 for every five – I had my pick when it came to dances). If I could go for a fifth time, I’d probably go with Darren Criss, and we would just have a fun night dancing all night. I remember being so nervous about dancing in high school, but nowadays, I have found my signature moves. I feel like Darren and I could really cut a rug on the dance floor, and immediately get kicked off for being too old, having been found out solely because I used the phrase cut a rug.
4. Sometimes people will say things so terrible to me on the internet that it goes beyond offensive and I actually find it funny. What’s the best thing anyone has tried to insult you with on the internet?
There are entire blogs dedicated to exposing how terrible of a person I am. It’s great promo. The worst/funniest thing someone has ever said to me as an insult was, “Tyler Oakley’s voice is how comic sans sounds” — that’s beautiful. That’s basically poetic.
5. In one of your videos you ate an absurd amount of McDonald’s chicken nuggets. What’s your theory on what those nuggets are actually made of?
I don’t know what they’re made of, but I find it to be no coincidence that in the 20-minute time constraint, I ate 42, which also happens to be the meaning of life. You jump to your own conclusions.
6. If you were one of the actors from Lord of the Rings who portrayed a hobbit, would you try to keep the prosthetic feet? Explain your answer.
I would keep the prosthetic feet because I’m very into being the most dedicated person to themed dress-up parties. I guarantee there will come a time when I need oversized hairy feet for a costume… and I will be ready. I will always be ready.
7. Top 5 movies of all time. You don’t have to show off or try to impress, this is a safe place.
In no particular order: 500 Days of Summer, Mean Girls, Milk, Scream 4, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (Donny Osmond version).
8. Describe the last three pictures messages you’ve received on your phone if you can do that legally.
The first is a GIF of an obese African-American woman taking her top off. The second is a picture of one of my nephews. The third can’t be described legally.
9. What’s the coolest thing you’ve gotten the opportunity to do since becoming an internet star?
I get to do a lot of really, really amazing things, from red carpet interviews to attending events like SXSW, the VMAs or the Superbowl. The coooooolest thing I’ve ever done happens twice every year: going to YouTube conventions and meeting the people that watch. It boggles my mind when someone can come up to me and rattle off a million things about hundreds of my videos from years ago that I have no recollection even doing/talking about. My people are amazing and committed and have been with me for years. Getting to meet them is always an amazing experience.
10. What’s your favorite thing about me?
How sexy you look with your hair pushed back.
If you’re one of the ten people who don’t already follow Tyler on some form of social media, here are his links: