Hey, Ally Dickaty of The Virginmarys–you’ve got a new album and you’re currently in the middle of a US tour. What are you doing talking to us? Go take a nap or make some groupies swoon. Or continue to write some foot-stomping rock ‘n’ roll, the likes of which has been sorely lacking from the musical landscape lately.
But since we’re not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and the Virginmarys are a respite from the whiny musings that dominate the radio lately, we’re going to run with it. First question!
1) What person (living or dead) would you duel, and what’s your choice of weapon?
Simon Cowell, samurai sword.
2) What’s the last dream you remember? What do you think it meant?
I was swimming with sharks with false teeth. Probably means I need to eat more greens.
3) What job would you be terrible at, and why?
Telesales 9-5 in an office. Did it once and had to lie to people and be a salesman. I was completely broke but still had to leave within a couple of weeks. Complete nightmare.
4) What are you afraid of?
Telesales 9-5 in an office.
5) What’s your most embarrassing high school moment?
Trying to impress a girl whilst playing football (soccer), kicking the ground rather than the ball and having to hobble for the rest of the game.
6) What’s the hardest you’ve ever laughed?
We were walking back to the van after we played Download Festival back home and Matt fell down a 20ft style full of water. It was really surreal, one second he was there and the next he’d gone. Felt really bad but it was so f###ing funny.
7) What respected/beloved musical acts bore you?
Oasis. To me they never bettered their first two albums and continued doing the same formulaic stuff when I reckon they could do loads better.
8) What’s a piece of pop culture you love but no one else remembers?
When I was a kid I used to have a book called But Where’s The Green Parrot. My Nan used to hate it but I loved getting her to read it to me.
9) Here’s a one-way plane ticket to anywhere. Where will you go?
10) What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
You can pick up The Virginmarys new album, King of Conflict, on iTunes or nab a physical copy on Amazon. For more Ten Weird Questions, check out our interviews with Internet Icon Judge Christine Lakin and Morgan Murphy.