It’s been a good year for Gustav Wood and the Young Guns. Having brought their album Bones to the U.S. with Wind-up Records, its eponymous single reached No. 1 on the Active Rock radio chart. Then weekly rock mag Kerrang named “Bones” the #1 rock song of 2012. And then the band got to hear the WWE thunder as one of Wrestlemania’s theme songs. So in terms of prestige, Wrestlemania was the Young Guns’ Hulk Hogan (which means this interview makes us their Daniel Bryan). Wood kindly took time our from rocking your face off with his band’s new video “Towers (On My Way)” to answer our odd inquiries.
1) What person (living or dead) would you duel, and what’s your choice of weapon?
Our prime minister David Cameron, and my weapon of choice a chain-mail glove.
2) If you could get away with one crime, what would it be?
Tough one. Maybe rob a bank so I could live on a tropical island.
3) What job would you be terrible at, and why?
Anything that involved math. Anything in accounting. Math is my weak point. That and being responsible with money. So…accounting again.
4) What are you afraid of?
I have an irrational fear of aliens. That and cockroaches. I hate them.
5) What’s your most embarrassing high school moment?
When I was maybe 13 I slipped and landed on my ass in front of about a thousand fellow school kids (the bus stops were right outside THREE separate schools and I was running across the road to catch one home). I was super shy and quiet anyway. Agony!
6) Would you rather encounter a ghost, aliens, or Bigfoot? Why?
Bigfoot because that would definitely be the lesser of the three in terms of being absolutely bloody terrified.
7) What respected/beloved musical acts bore you?
I was never into Primal Scream or The Stone Roses, those bands were horrible.
8) What’s a piece of pop culture you love but no one else remembers?
I used to love a show called Jayce and The Wheeled Warriors that nobody else ever remembers.
9) What’s the most inexplicable attraction you’ve ever had to someone?
I think Helen Mirren is a babe! Some of the other guys give me crap for it but Helen, I’ve got your back.
10) What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
I ate tarantula once. That was truly awful. Horribly crunchy.
Get yourself a copy of Young Guns’ album Bones on iTunes or in your real-life mitts over at Amazon. You can follow them on their official sites on Tumblr and MySpace (remember MySpace? It’s a thing again!).
Gustav isn’t the first guy who rocks to endure 10 Weird Questions. He isn’t even the first guy named Wood to do so this week. We asked some of Top Gear’s Rutledge Wood and Ally Dickaty of The Virginmarys.