Karen Kilgariff is one of the funniest musical comedians you will ever see. You may recognize her from the classic sketch show on HBO Mr. Show but she was also the head writer on The Ellen Show. Be sure to check out her website for music and upcoming show dates!
1. So what are you up to right now?
I’m trying to write a new script at the moment, so… panic eating and staring at Tumblr all day.
2. What was your favorite sketch on Mr. Show?
Choo-Choo the Hurkey-Jerky dancer. I know it’s only part of a sketch, but I don’t care.
3. What was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid?
I had a hand-me-down pilgrim dress that I really enjoyed, I think because it was a real costume from a play, with an apron and a bonnet and a metal zipper. Now I’m laughing because I realized I have no idea where my mom got it. I guess a local grammar school did a run of The Crucible or something.
4. Without fear of judgement, what are your top five favorite movies of all time?
Fear of judgement is for babies.
- Silence of the Lambs
- Michael Clayton
- Pride & Prejudice
- Truly, Madly, Deeply
5. Can you describe the last three picture messages you’ve received on your phone?
OK, but they’re not sexy or anything. In chronological order– my 6-year old niece sleeping, a group shot of me and three friends where I look so much like Suzanne Sugarbaker it surpasses horrifying and is almost cool, my cousin Stevie wearing a horse head mask crouching over his sleeping wife. I guess that one is pretty sexy.
6. What’s the strangest celebrity encounter you’ve ever had?
I ran into Little Richard being interviewed by a film crew once as I was getting off an elevator. He turned around and looked down at the plate of fruit I was holding and went, “WATERMELON… (singing) HOOOOOOOOO!” I just walked away. That story works better when I tell it in person because of the singing part. Also, one time Richard Simmons saw me in a hallway and screamed, “Oh my god it’s Snow White!” and then ran over and held my face. God bless that man.
7. Are there any TV shows you’re keeping up with right now?
Of course Mad Men– I’m deeply in love with Stan Rizzo. The Killing– I’m deeply in love with Holder. DaVinci’s Demons– I’m deeply in love with velour.
8. You were on an episode of Wings which is my sister’s favorite show. Does that make you and my sister best friends?
Quite the opposite.
9. Who are some of your favorite accounts on Twitter?
10. Most importantly, what’s your favorite thing about me?
The fact that you asked me to do this.