If you’ve enjoyed Saturday Night Live‘s “Weekend Update” then you have Alex Baze to thank for that. He’s the head writer over there and chatted with us about the important things in life like Billy Joel’s music. You can follow Alex on Twitter for more of his comedy.
1. So what are you up to right now?
Right now, I’m killing time before I get my shoulder x-rayed to see if the physical therapy helped. Also, drinking coffee that’s gone cold.
2. Are there any SNL moments that particularly stand out as your favorites?
The Stefon finale is my new favorite thing ever. Other than that, any time Fred [Armisen] played Governor Paterson and Amy Poehler doing Caitlin. I hope I’m spelling Caitlin right. I should throw this coffee out.
3. If you weren’t writing, what would you be doing for a living?
I’d like to think I’d be doing something high-minded in a scientific field, but the reality is that I’d probably be managing a mid-level Italian restaurant in LA and telling people about how I used to be in comedy until I wised up.
4. Without fear of judgement, what are your top five favorite movies of all time?
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. That one above all others. Then…Unbreakable, War of the Roses, Grease (f**k you), The Shawshank Redemption.
5. Can you describe the last three picture messages you’ve received on your phone?
My sister sent me a post-surgery picture of her wrist, which had been flayed open to treat carpal-tunnel syndrome. One was of a beach in California at sunset. And the other one is none of your business.
6. What’s the strangest celebrity encounter you’ve ever had?
At SNL, there is a hallway with a sharp turn that makes it easy to collide with anyone who’s walking too fast. I was motoring around the corner and I saw a woman whom I recognized as someone I knew, so I came out with a very cheery “Hi there!” and then immediately realized it was Jennifer Aniston. And I don’t know her. And she fired back an equally cheery “Hi!” Then I felt weird the rest of the day. But I was probably going to anyway, right?
7. Are there any TV shows you’re keeping up with right now?
I’m glued to Mad Men and Game of Thrones, of course. I tried watching Rectify, but then I forgot what channel it was on and I didn’t have the energy for the hunt. Seemed promising though. I hope it works out for them. Besides those, I mostly watch other late night comedy shows and talk shows. For research and comparison purposes.
8. What’s the first album you remember buying?
Billy Joel’s The Nylon Curtain. Whatever. Hating Billy Joel is lazy, you dicks.
9. Who are some of your favorite accounts on Twitter?
I enjoy the pantheon, your Delaneys and your Oxfords. Right now, I’m loving @briangaar and @thenardvark. I feel like they work hard on their stuff. I may be wrong, but it comes off that way, and I appreciate that.
10. Most importantly, what’s your favorite thing about me?
I dig your hair. And I like your name. It kind of sounds like British slang for something criminal.