Two and a Half Men star Jon Cryer needs no introduction. So we won’t bother with one.
1. So what are you up to right now?
Y’know, just answering emails and stuff.
Oh, you mean work-wise? I just finished a movie called Hit by Lightning. Takes place in L.A., so we shot it in Ottawa. Yeah, Canada. Thousands of miles from where I live. In Los Angeles. Don’t get me started.
It’s sort of a cross between Body Heat and The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Super funny. Will Sasso is in it. He’s one of the super funny things about it.
2. Looking back, what was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid?
As a kid I liked the super cheesy store bought costumes with the flimsy plastic masks with the rubber band that would always break. I had a Spider-Man costume that was fantastic ’til the rubber band broke. Nowadays, I go whole-hog for Halloween. Year before last, I made my son an Enderman costume (from Minecraft) complete with stilts and a pixelated candy bag. My daughter (who is three) asked me to dress as “green cheese soup” and god help me, I did it.
3. Do you still get fans approaching you about your role in Pretty in Pink or have the moved on to other projects of yours?
Still a lot of Duckie love out there. Don’t mind it though, John Hughes wrote a great character. Plus he had fantastic hair.
4. What would you say are your five favorites movies of all time?
- All That Jazz
- Rollerball (Original Version)
5. Can you describe the last three picture messages you’ve received on your phone?
My wife sent me some awesome pictures of the meerkats at the zoo (I love meerkats).
6. What’s the strangest celebrity encounter you’ve ever had?
A while back, when I was single, I went to a Hollywood benefit to honor Janet Jackson. Met an older woman there who didn’t seem to be accompanied by anyone. We talked, laughed a lot, had a blast. She was over 50 and I was in my mid twenties but God help me, she was adorable. As the evening wound down I realized that even though I felt that we were probably flirting, we hadn’t actually introduced ourselves. So I gamely stuck out my hand and told her my name. She took my hand, smiled an incredibly cute smile, and said “I’m Shirley Temple.”
7. Are there any TV shows, besides your own, that you’re keeping up with right now?
I have a 3-year-old daughter, so I’m totally up to date on the latest eps of Henry Hugglemonster.
8. What’s the strangest thing a fan has ever given you?
I kid. Actually, it was an enormous bud of pot. Handed it too me right on Sixth Avenue. I’m not kidding.
9. Who are some of your favorite accounts on Twitter?
Can’t go wrong with any of these folks.
10. Are there any actors that you’d love to work with that you haven’t had the opportunity to yet?
Would love to work with Kristen Wiig. Also Kevin Spacey, I did an audition with him 30 years ago, before either of us had booked many jobs and he just astounded me. I think part of the reason I didn’t get that gig was that my jaw was on the floor for my whole audition. Bill Murray… holy s**t working with Bill Murray would be great.