10 Weird Questions with Anberlin’s Stephen Christian
Anberlin is a band that can make you feel nostalgic even in the moment, as you’ll observe in their new video for “City Electric,” but they’re also fine with kicking it into higher gear to sing about dating someone else’s girlfriend. With a new special edition album out, and a tour with The Maine (though, oddly, not to Maine), they’ve got a lot going on, so we asked lead Stephen Christian to answer some questions and pretend we weren’t being weird.
1. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever seen?
I have seen some crazy stuff in my life come to think of it. I think the most recent was in Thailand. At our hotel there was a cabaret show attached and many men in drag were entertaining guests. I think it was strange because honestly I had no idea that they were men, It literally blew my mind. Here in America you see men in drag, but there is no denying that adams apple… not in Thailand.
2. What’s the most annoying thing a person can do?
Be negative. Nothing is more toxic me more than a person complains constantly about their life, their circumstances, or themselves. If you are reading this interview on a computer you have nothing to complain about. You have a roof over your head, you have eaten today, and you will most likely eat tomorrow. I think when people get depressed it’s just their body telling them to go volunteer at a homeless shelter.
3. What’s the last dream you remember? What do you think it meant?
It was an apocalypse dream. I was trying to get my family to safety, but it wasn’t like the movies, it wasn’t the best of endings. Not sure what it was trying to say, maybe everything is about to come crashing down, but then I will wake up and it will all be just fine.
4. What respected/beloved musical acts bore you?
Morrissey & Robert Smith had me out of wedlock, but Jeff Buckley & Thom Yorke adopted and raised me.
5. Ah-ha, you cleverly repurposed the verb in our question, you rascal, you. What are you afraid of?
Failure & needles.
Robbing the bank, not for the money but that adrenaline rush has got to be insane.
7. What’s the worst date you’ve had?
Prom, senior year, if you can count that as a “date.” We had nothing in common, as soon as we got there we parted ways. Really, in hindsight I should have just asked her if I could drive her to prom. That’s basically what I did.
8. What person (living or dead) would you duel, and what’s your choice of weapon?
I would want to fight Genghis Khan. If you really think about it he may be the Alpha Male when it comes to war. It’s not like a general in the military who sits behind a desk and phone, that dude went to battle. I figure if I could fight him and win; I wouldn’t be scared to face anyone.
9. What’s the most inexplicable attraction you’ve ever had to someone?
Years ago I met a Japanese girl and instantly came up with this whole scenario that we were married in my head, thinking maybe this is what people mean when they say “I just knew.” It was bizarre and I never saw her again. That has never happened since.
10. Sounds like you guys need to play a cover of “El Scorcho.” What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- 10/14 – Boise, ID – Knitting Factory
- 10/15 – Salt Lake City, UT – In The Venue
- 10/16 – Englewood, CO – Gothic Theatre
- 10/18 – Minneapolis, MN – Mill City Nights
- 10/19 – Chicago, IL – House of Blues
- 10/20 – Milwaukee, WI – The Eagles Club
- 10/21 – Grand Rapids, MI – Intersection
- 10/23 – Philadelphia, PA – Union Transfer
- 10/25 – Baltimore, MD – Ram’s Head Live
- 10/26 – Boston, MA – House of Blues
- 10/27 – Altoona, PA – Penn State Altoona
- 10/29 – New York, NY – Webster Hall
- 10/30 – Sayreville, NJ – Starland Ballroom
- 11/1 – Norfolk, VA – The NorVa
- 11/4 – Atlanta, GA – Masquerade
- 11/5 – Orlando, FL – House of Blues