The Griswolds play deceptively whimsical alt-pop that, beneath its zip, is a tightly woven composition and why are you even reading this? That could all mean a million things. Just listen to them rock it:
The Australian band is touring the US at the moment, so we nabbed their voice, Chris Whitehall, to answer our non sequiturs. And he rocked that too, the same way they rocked their new EP and they’ll probably rock their full-length album next year. It’s almost like they can’t help rocking.
1. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever seen?
I was at the beach one day, and out of nowhere a huuuuge army of seagulls, maybe 20 or more, flew directly at this poor, unsuspecting woman, they flew right up on top of her made some crazy bird noises at her, covered her in bird droppings and then flew away into the horizon. The whole beach was stunned.
2. What person (living or dead) would you duel, and what’s your choice of weapon?
Probably my sister’s ex-boyfriend (mega douchesaurus rex) and for the weapon, I’d go with a dildo of some kind, only because it’d probs be quite humiliating to get beaten down by a dildo.
3. What’s the last dream you remember? What do you think it meant?
Had a crazy dream last night! I got stabbed and kidnapped and for some reason they kidnapped my dog too (and they sabotaged my guitar amp for some reason). Anyway, as I was drifting in and out of consciousness and fevers, my kidnappers slowly became friends with me and decided to take me and my dog back home. Then I woke up. I think it means that I’m immune to stabbing which is really good news.
4. What respected/beloved musical acts bore you?
I never really got into Bob Dylan as much as everyone else, maybe he’s just too cool for me.
5. What’s your most embarrassing high school moment?
I once browned myself in class.
6. Yikes! After that there must have been no embarrassment left. What’s the worst date you’ve had?
I took a religious girl to see Step Brothers when it came out, didn’t know she was religious at the time. She told me she wanted to walk out of the movie once she saw Will Ferrell’s ball sack, the date got really awkward after that. Needless to say, I didn’t see her again.
7. What’s the hardest you’ve ever laughed?
Actually it was about three weeks ago. The band was on tour in Australia and we had stopped for the night and cracked open a few beers and a few smokes, out of nowhere everybody started laughing hysterically except our drummer, Riley. We laughed for about half an hour literally over nothing while Riley was paranoid that we’d messed with him somehow.
8. What’s a piece of pop culture you love but no one else remembers?
Pingu the Penguin. This is literally a show about a family of Play-Dough penguins that have no dialogue but they pee all over the ice and make little penguin noises. It was awesome.
9. Would you rather encounter a ghost, aliens, or Bigfoot? Why?
Bigfoot, because I hope it’d be like Harry and the Hendersons and he’d become a besty.
10. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
Cow brain tacos. It was an accident. The menu was in Spanish.
You can still sway to the soothing sounds of The Griswolds on their tour, but if you’re not in California, grab their EP Heart of a Lion, follow them on Facebook, visit their official site, jam to their YouTube channel, stalk them on Twitter, and grab exclusive media from their Tumblr. Hoo boy! That’s a lot of fan obsession for one day.
- Tue 11/5/2013 Brick & Mortar Music Hall San Francisco, CA
- Thu 11/7/2013 The Satellite Los Angeles, CA w/The Griswolds
- Fri 11/8/2013 Detroit Bar Costa Mesa, CA w/The Griswolds
- Sat 11/9/2013 Casbah San Diego, CA w/The Griswolds
- Tue 11/12/2013 The House of Blues Chicago, IL