Have you ever met someone who can factually say they party for a living? I met the always-smiling Brandi Garcia a few years ago when she was a DJ in Houston. Garcia had a pretty controversial “departure” from her radio days in Houston, but bounced back as the midday DJ for 93.5 KDAY in Los Angeles, where she says she gets to “play dope hip hop hits from back in the day.”
She’s the Peyton Manning of radio — came back stronger than ever with an even bigger fan-base and appreciation for the musical game.
Granted she does a lot more than party to earn her paycheck, but it still sounds amazing. On the side, she also DJs for clubs, sporting events, corporate events, weddings, you name it and she’s playing the tunes and bringing laughs. She’s also opened up for artists such as Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Ludacris, Drake and many others and keeps her day planner filled fuller than Martha Stewart’s kitchen cabinets.
When she talks about her job and life in LA, she simply answers, “pretty cool job if you ask me.” Then we get into our 10 (or 12) Weird Questions Segment, after the inevitable hugs and chestbumps celebrating the Noles 34-31 title win over Auburn. This is a work interview for both of us, so we attempt to remain professional in our giddy garnet and gold excitement.
1. Florida State just won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, give me words?
Best game of my life! I think I aged 10 years in a few hours… darn near gave me a heart attack, but I couldn’t be happier! We won when I was a freshman at [Florida] State in ’99 so I’ve waited 14 years for this! Plus it was always a dream of mine to see my Noles play at the Rose Bowl… and how sweet that it would be for a Championship!
2. If you could only listen to one artist for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?
3. If you had to go 70/30 on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, who gets the 70? Peanut Butter or Jelly?
Jelly gets 100%! I was the weird kid growing up who hated peanut butter.
4. Good thing we root for the same football team, because someone who doesn’t like peanut butter probably doesn’t like dogs or sunshine either…back to Florida State, describe Tallahassee for those who’ve never been?
Country…It’s pretty much south Georgia. And it’s all about FSU football! The only things there are the capitol, T-Pain, FSU & FAMU.
5. You recently just got into running big time, right? What made you put on those Nikes and start running so damn much? You’re like a hot Forrest Gump with a Dodgers hat…how did that happen?
Actually I ran cross-country for FSU back in the day and also ran track in High School. Just finally got back into it the past few years to keep sane. Running is good therapy… plus it makes it possible for me to eat all the snacks I want haha!
6. But not peanut butter, right? In mainstream America, a “birthday suit” refers to being completely naked. For me it’s a tight tank top and a tutu (yes, a tutu). What’s your birthday suit?
Hmm…. big t-shirt, panties and socks (my feet are always cold).
7. These ingredients make the perfect Bloody Mary:
Ewwww I can’t stand Bloody Marys! It’s all about Mojitos! (Raspberry ones are my faves!)
8. Does spooning always lead to forking?
Nope… but it definitely makes it more likely.
9. What do you do with your spare change? You know if you’re that rare individual that uses cash for stuff…
I never have enough because I am always using it for street parking — I hate valet! I’ll spend hella time trying to find street parking so I don’t have to valet. I would rather spend my money on things other than parking. Plus when I’m ready to go, I wanna leave! I don’t like waiting for them to bring my car around, especially after an event where everyone exits at once.
10. Your favorite Sex and the City character?
Charlotte with a li’l bit of Samantha. Every quiz I’ve ever taken to find out what character you are most like always pairs me with Charlotte but I know I have a smidge of Samantha mixed in too!
11. The lesser of two evils: Tim Tebow or Urban Meyer?
Ugh…. well I guess I’d rather take both of them than Spurrier! I couldn’t stand him! #Crybaby #VisorThrower
12. Would you ever/have you ever posed nude? Say Playboy asked you to do a semi-tasteful photoshoot sans clothes, and offered quite a bit of money in return for your goodies, would you?
Nope! Won’t go beyond bikini… Mom would have a fit! And no one is more important than family so I couldn’t ever disappoint them.
Ok everyone — go stalk my girl Brandi on social media. As always, she has granted permission to all of you Man Cave Daily fans and encourages it:
Jayme Lamm is a freelance sports and travel writer based in Houston and is currently in a full-court press writing her hugely opinionated sports column, The Blonde Side. Follow her travels for sporting events and check her out on Twitter. Jayme recently interviewed actress & comedienne Syd Wilder.